View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Shiho-nage pin and joint lock

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Oh, I thought that the Iwama way was as a preservation society.

This is also my understanding, besides som mysterious I.S version that I have´nt encountered I dont think that it is possible to pin a person to the ground using just an arm (or even arm+knee on ribcage) unless there is a big difference in size or strength.
I knew I was putting my foot dangerously close to my mouth ... Let's call "Robs interpretation of Iwama". No doubt M. Saito tasked himself to faithfully preserve the art taught by the founder but just how many can rightly take on that mantle in all seriousness? Thread drift can lead to dark and gloomy places.

The only pin for shihonage I was even taught in the Iwama line fit into the description you mentioned and I seriously doubt most any pin would last very long except for some of those pretzel pins as seen in some branches or Daito ryu, human origami is what Ellis Amdur described it (I think). As far as martial relevance the pretzel takes way too long and who has time to sit there and hold someone down with a marginally effective pin whilst their comrades repeatedly poke with pointy objects?

All in all I think it is a great study to figure out just what exactly is it that one is supposed to learn from the pinning configurations.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.