Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #19
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Aikikai Dan Ranks

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Greetings Professor,

I never said his response was of use, only that he responded. He told me that my teacher's rank is registered at aikikai but mine is not (information that I already knew). After inquiring again about the possibility of having my rank registered at the aikikai, his response was as follows:

"It would be better to contact to the Aikikai authorized person or organization in your area."

Not very useful at all I'm afraid.
Hello,

Yes, I suspected this when I wrote the original post. I nearly wrote, 'hope his response was of use.'

However, Robert Watson's answer is right. The emphasis has moved from individual shihan awarding dan ranks to organizations, and the older 'super-shihan', like Tada and Tamura, will not be replaced. So you will have a pattern of recognized aikido organizations, whose grading practices will be closely monitored by the Aikikai. Those who somehow fall through the cracks, like yourself, will need to create a new organization or establish a relationship with an existing one.

Actually, the problem of 'ronin yudansha' is not a new problem and I am occasionally contacted about the US military, for example, when American yudansha are sent to Japan and wish to maintain their relationship with the Aikikai.

If you PM me, I can perhaps give you more detailed information.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury