View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #138
jdostie
Dojo: Aikido of Livermore
United_States
Re: Refining my view of aiki

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I think what I am saying is that in my ephemeral experience with Chinese martial arts, the brain is taught first. You are given movements to practice, and things to think about, and try to get your movements to sync with what your brain has been told is supposed to go on.

With Japanese martial arts, it is almost directly the opposite. You are given a basic idea of the moves you are supposed to make, and you jump in and do them without really understanding what their meaning is. Your teacher and seniors have a much better idea of how good you are then you do, and they sort of poke and prod you into shape over time. You may figure things out intellectually, but then further on down the line you revise what your thinking is and start fresh. At some point your teacher may inform you of something that literally blows your mind.

The big problem with the classical Japanese model is you need a continual succession of teachers who are clued into how the school is supposed to shape you. If there is a break, it is probably gone forever.

FWIW everything I have read leads me to believe that Takeda was 100% a man of the classical Japanese method, in the way he was himself trained, and in the way he taught his inner students.
How do you think that squares with the "itinerate teacher"/seminar model where he moved from place to place? Certainly there were periods where he remained at a dojo or another (Sagawa and Ueshiba for example), but I was given to understand that most of his teaching was done "on the road" so to speak. But I may have read more into that than is the case.