View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #131
Cliff Judge
Japan
Re: Refining my view of aiki

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
It is well-documented in his training ledgers that Takeda charged by the "technique." This was the custom in the trade, so to speak, so he did not invent the idea. It was not in his economic interest to explain deeply, nor to diminish the sense of discrete techniques rather than an underlying principle that resulted in them.

One can see the current testing and rank system as directly descending from that perspective. This was also one reason Takeda was so offended by Ueshiba trying to teach aiki directly and explicitly -- it threatened his livelihood based on set-piece "techniques." I think laying a similar charge to the current system of testing, ranking and mass seminars is lacking a proper historical understanding of the problem -- in addition to being unfair, wrong and misplaced as a moral criticism -- but --- the origin of its design defects as a teaching paradigm cannot be denied.
Eh? "Custom in the trade?" Where do you get that idea?

Who else was moving around a bit, giving 10-day seminars, charging by the technique?

Before Takeda started teaching Daito ryu in this way, he trained with Sakikibara, who started to create a sort of MMA league of bujutsu, and taught thousands of students. This was an innovation in direct response to the collapse of the social system where bushi were paid stipends and given rewards for mastering bujutsu, and thus the collapse of the market for classical Japanese martial arts.

I would be interested to hear why you think this was commonplace. What other teachers and schools were doing this in the Meiji, Taisho, and early Showa periods?

The idea that Takeda didn't like Ueshiba "directly teaching" Aiki was a cause for their falling out is common, that could be true. But it seems like Ueshiba getting closer to Deguchi was a considerable part of the strain. And Ueshiba was teaching harder, more direct, application-oriented jujutsu at the Asahi dojo before Takeda came to town and pronounced that he had been teaching incorrectly. Then he proceeded to teach them more subtle, aiki-related applications. Which confused them, so Tokimune suggested that they just start everybody over on the Hiden Mokuroku.