Thread: The Big Falls
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2000, 09:30 AM   #28
Erik
Re: Good Debate.....

Quote:
Cas Long wrote:
Mikey,

You have completely mis-understood my post. My main point is that sometimes, Uke has no 'choice' in how to fall- maybe I refer to advanced Aikido too much, especially when both Nage & Uke are of equal ability & have solid repetoires.
The word sometimes is what I was looking for. I've run into enough people that train so much the same way, over and over, that they can't break their patterns and controlling uke sounded like maybe.... but it appears not to have been.

Quote:
I agree with some of your points, this is why sometimes it can be "truer" to train with Aikidoka outside your own Dojo, if this is OK with your Sensei- then your Aikido will be more reactive rather than it becoming "predictable",
however, I would say, not always to "go with the flow" with your colleagues on the mat, as being on auto-pilot, (knowing someone's technque well) can end up in injury if they pull something new/unexpected! & this highlights my main point.....
Maybe I just needed to hear your points differently but this works fine for me. In fact, this fear led to something which led to this post.

Quote:
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts-I just have a thing about totally contrived Aikido, that's all!
As do I and it's why we got started with this. Technique-wise, the dojo I'm spending most of my time at these days is one of the most non-contrived out there (it's why I'm there), so I found it funny when uke's started looking contrived (my definition of contrived is pretty damn broad though). Balance is a good thing.

Appreciate the discussion.