View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #46
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Why do people think Aikido does not work?

Quote:
Edward Karaa wrote: View Post
I have no doubt that anyone with the right physical condition and mental attitude can potentially win in the UFC, even an ikebana practitionner. Aikido as a martial art has been designed to for self-defence against a set of armed and unarmed attacks. As such I have no reason to doubt its efficiency. There are other sport oriented martial arts that are more suited for competition and sparring. But then again, it depends on the individual.
Hello
Well, you see one can not expect to miraculously be able to deal with several potentially armed opponents in an asymmetric situation when one can not deal with a single empty handed one in an even starting situation.

If you aikido training consist mainly of tenchin back against back against any incoming attack and you do have any atemi, you will need to be 2rd DAN to deal with year old grand-mother armed with a stick after you threaded on her beloved geraniums. Yes I know she is fierce, but she is 88.

Don't get me wrong I am the first one to say that your average SD customer is very unlikely to be skilled either in open hand or with the weapon he is using.
That being said he is very likely to manipulate the situation and the environment to get the drop on you.
If you do no train for that I do not think you can not expect to perform adequately in SD.
As well you state of mind in SD should not be different of than in competition. You are going to do and you have trained to get what it takes to win.

The differences are only the win conditions, in sport you will score points, submit to knockout or knock down your opponent.
In SD it can be anything from avoid the situation before it happens to doing you opponent uglier.

There are times when getting out of the way and letting the guy crash or throw him nicely until he sees the error of his ways if the right thing to do.
There are times when you throw them your intent is to make any nearby seismograph register the impact.

For me the beauty of aikido is that you can do both using the same method.

Phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.