Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #68
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Grappling In Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Salim Wrote:

Yes...I agree...lots in common for sure.

However, as I posted in another thread a few minutes ago. This can illustrate a big difference in methodolgies between Aikido and BJJ.

In BJJ you spend alot of time learning positional hierarchy and dominance...this is important. It ain't the wrist lock that matters in BJJ, it is positional dominance. Wrist locks are secondary. In fact they may get you in trouble. Ellis talks alot about this in the other thread.

Wrist locks typically are used as a control device to loosen a grip, to take a weapon, or to gain temporary compliance for another more permanent control measure. (Cuffs maybe?)

using it as a strategy by a woman to subdue and get away...no..I agree with Ellis....you piss him off and have left no permanent control measure in place.

Anyway...positional dominance is foremost, and this is what I think is most distinctive difference in training BJJ and Aikido in the methodologies. Lots in common in principle, but we in aikido tend to over look this vital component or at least view it of lesser importance sometimes when training principles.
Hi Kevin

As usual I agree with much of what you say and always appreciate how you measure Aikido against the reality of your experiences.

I'd just like to pick out your comment that positional dominance is foremost in BJJ where as I think you are suggesting that in Aikido there is more focus on the wristlock itself.

I'd say this could be correct for some but not for all.

In my own experience the wristlocks etc are used to express the underlying principles of Aikido, for instance kamae or position in relationship to uke is particularly relevant to your post ..as is maai - range or distance.

So for instance a wristlock deployed with good kamae leaves tori in a better position than uke and with correct maai at the right range rather than cranking on a lock while in reach of ukes other weapons systems.

So really - positional dominance - the same thing.

Whats neat is that this doesn't in anyway detract from the effectiveness of the lock...a good lock deployed in a good place is just as good...if not better than a good lock deployed in a bad place.

Not everyone trains with this in mind - but from the quality of many of the posts on this forum - a whole lot of people do.

Regards...and apologies if this is topic drift.

D

ps - just seen date of your post ..a zombie thread restarted...sorry to quote you so far off your original...but you are still around so I'll leave this here as food for thought

Last edited by Dazzler : 11-18-2010 at 03:55 AM.