View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #208
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Graham Wild wrote: View Post
there is one thing that the Gracie's (which are in the majority of them) have that the other martial artist do not have. That is spirit.
Yeah, I'm thinking they had a little more than "spirit". Like "better technique" and possibly "superior training."

Quote:
The wonderful thing about someone who does a grappling art is they want to grab you. So in theory GOOD Aikido should be good to defend against someone who wants to grapple you.
That doesn't follow. Aikido grabs are very different from BJJ or wrestling takedowns. (See the "Aikido is about weapons" discussions.)

Quote:
The fact is ALL the early greats (Mochizuki, Shioda, Tomiki, etc) were judoka, and old school judoka, so their ground fighting was identical to BJJ (for those who don't believe this, look at material from Mifune and Kawaishi).
Well, since BJJ is basically Kodokan newaza expanded and further-developed, I guess this is more or less accurate. More or less.

Quote:
All of these men were students of O'Sensei because they could not beat him (The story of Shioda comes to mind). They were proficient grapplers and could not take down O'Sensei. So GOOD Aikido will enable you to defend against a BJJer.
O-Sensei's training was a lot broader than modern aikido. In fact, he didn't train in modern aikido. He did judo, sumo, and a variety of other things that included grappling.

Quote:
You remember all those stories about O'Sensei and his spider sense, awareness!
This was not developed from his aiki studies. Rather, in Manchuria, he was on one occasion bitten by a radioactive spider.

Quote:
A BJJ is someone who won't easily tire, and will keep coming, so it has to be lights out. A solid strike to the side of the chin is the proven way to knock someone out with atemi.
Yes, it is. Example:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jUCBOWTazHE

As an aside...wow. Just found this clip on YouTube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TPxkEkGUeZU

That does look familiar, I admit. (I don't mean that as a serious argument.) Anyway, though, the arts that focus on fast knockouts via blows to the chin are ones like boxing and Muay Thai.

Quote:
Alternatively you could do what we do in Yoseikan, and train in grappling. Personal, I like the fact that O'Sensei didn't have to do this, so this is what I want to achieve.
But...he did train in grappling!