Thread: goals
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #24
DH
United_States
Re: goals

People say all sorts of things about their practice. What is clear-abundantly clear- rom watching thousands of video and training with thousands of people is that for many, what they say and what they think they are doing is not the same with what they actually do. And in my experience...they don't even know how or why.
It's that bad out there. Its like talking physics to people learning math.

If someone can find me enough video-say only 10% of the available videos out there where uke
DOES NOT CHANGE HIS BODY AFTER ATTACKING...TO A COMPLIANT, RECEIVING, BODY I will discuss changing my overall assessment. Until then all I have to say is what most people describe as nage/ uke movement is not even close to uke "continuing their attack." It's not even an attack much less continuing. Therefore as several continue to point out just here in the above posts, and in other threads...what they are doing is not a martial art. It's something different.
a. I am not picking out any one person or method
b. I am not even thinking just aikido-this voluntary collapsing and receiving is infecting dojo's everywhere and some one has convinced ya'll it's a good thing to do.
c. It is not Martial and it is not Budo, it's something different. That's okay, but we can't just claim to know martial arts or budo without the cost. And there are plenty of real budo people who can demonstrate that lesson...and that right quick!
In the 21st century, we need to do better or the TMA won't last.
Dan