View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #15
MM
United_States
Re: Shodokan aikido Shomen Ate?

Quote:
Gustaf Rydevik wrote:
Hi All!

I've been a bit curious lately about the workings of the (in shodokan aikido) basic Shomen Ate technique. What I've been able to find on the web usually shows a sort of atemi to the face, followed by a push, resulting in uke falling.
However, while playing around in the dojo, I've been unable to generate a throwing feeling in this way, only getting uke pushed back a step or two.
If anyone could give me a more in-depth description of how to do it, or show me where such can be found on the web, I'd be very grateful.

Best

Gustaf
Hello!

Here's my take on shomen ate. First, a good committed attack by uke. Tori moves inward and gains a balance break through uke's arm. (through or using the arm. balance is never taken by an arm but by the whole body.) Uke attempts to recover AND also turns to attack tori again.

It's at this time that tori uses unbendable arm to place a palm on uke's chin. The "fit" should be such that tori doesn't have to reposition his/her body to bring the hand up to place the palm on uke's chin. Tori should still have uke's balance. And there should be no muscle involved in the next movement.

Physically, tori steps between uke's legs. Physically, tori relaxes the arms and lets them drop to his/her side. On another angle, tori is using their center to cut through uke's center on a diagonal direction downward to the mat to a triangular point (where the other two points are uke's feet) behind uke. Uke's spine will collapse.

If you find that you are just pushing uke backwards, then you're probably either using muscle and/or not "dropping weight" through uke's center. Think of uke in a three dimensional node. You have an X, Y, and Z axis. If you're pushing uke backwards, then you're only going in one direction. Say the Y axis. Uke's feet are along the X axis. But, you must get a Z-axis directional movement downward so uke's body goes downward. If uke only goes backwards, then there isn't anything affecting the Z axis.

Once you have your palm in uke's chin, just try keeping unbendable arm, step forward, relax the shoulders and let your arms relax enough to drop to your side. The step should be more of a "slide" of the front foot forward.

My take on it, anyway,
Mark