View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #91
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Saotome Sensei's Training History

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
It's not a matter of me taking sides. Or not taking sides. It's very much a matter of the tone of a given discussion. As you said, if point can be made respectfully and politely, the facts on some level can speak for themselves. But leave the "judgements" out of it.
I was just speaking generally when I talked about "sides", not anybody in particular. I really don't understand how there can even be a "side" here, a date is a date, and I haven't spoken at all about motivations.

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
And when you cross into talking about individuals you enter a very dangerous zone. The idea that we should do so while they are alive so that they can respond if they wish is just plain not going to happen. Can you imagine any 8th Dan getting into a give and take about Aikido fact and fiction with anyone publicly much less a non-Aikido person perceived as being disrespectful? Remember what Kensho Furuya's reaction was to the forum? He was so out of here... why folks thought they could talk to him like they talk to their on-line buddies always amazed me.
It is amazing - but I think it's healthy. It's very difficult to be a teacher in the martial arts because nobody says "no" to you.

Why shouldn't an 8th dan be expected to be able to justify their public statements and opinions as much as anybody else?

Best,

Chris