View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #27
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: being a good (bad) uke

What do you folks think about the idea of uke "dialing it back"? What are good things to keep in mind for that and when it is not a good idea to do? In my own sense of ukemi, I'm always trying to reach through my structure (from hara outward) to create enough slack for kaeshi, but then not perform kaeshi. As long as I'm reaching through my structure into the connection with nage, i almost feel like I can't really do any wrong as uke...not that that is the reality of things of course.
Another thought I've been having lately as to why some folks might tank more than others (myself probably being one of them) is having a heavier focus on ukemi (which is itself a practice in yielding powerfully). Obviously we don't want to sieze up when nage has superior positioning/power, so we yield and try to move with nage...that's my take on ukemi at any rate. If you talk to a lot of folks they describe themselves as focusing more heavily on one role than another and i wonder if "tankers" might be more likely to identify with the uke side of things. Any observations or thoughts on those ideas? I'd appreciate it.
Take care all,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 07-28-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Gambarimashyo!