View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
Rennis Buchner
Japan
Re: Internal Strength Definitions

Quote:
Gerardo Torres wrote: View Post
As a practitioner classical Japanese weapons I would say it's quite the opposite: you move from waist, not hips. From a structural standpoint, initiating movement from the hips causes a lateral loss of power and an immediately noticeable loss of connection in the extremities. Technique-wise, it also not a good idea to move from the hips. Moving knees laterally and turning the head have similar undesirable effects.
I do not know what classic art you practice, but I think you'll find that different ryu approach things in different ways. The ryu I am a member of generates much of its power through the use of the hips and in particular the opening, closing and general manipulation of them. I can think of a number of ryu that work in seemingly similar ways, while there are other ryu that tend to prefer a more square forward approach where there is little movement that seemingly doesn't make much of that area of the body in general. As is usual with koryu your mileage will vary, but I tend to agree with the OP as a general observation.

For what it is worth,
Rennis Buchner