View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #258
Thomas Campbell
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post

Does anyone here think Fedor Emelianenko is doing internal training? Would it matter..LOL?
Fedor and internal training . . . that is an interesting question. Three qualities that consistently impress me about him are his composure under pressure, his resilience, and his timing/perception (when and where to turn it on). I'd be very interested in finding out what he trained in during his (approximately) two years in the Russian army. I know his assignment was as a military firefighter, but I wonder what level of their basic physical training he engaged in. By the end of his military service, he was a Master of Sports (a high-level official certification in Russia) in Judo and Sambo.

Here is one account of Fedor's physical training regimen:

Fedor Emelianenko's Training and Fighting Style

Many would love to know Fedor Emelianenko's training regimen so they could copy it. After all, he is widely considered the best mixed martial arts heavyweight in the world today and possibly in the history of MMA. Well, here's as much of it as he's giving out.

As a child, Fedor trained in Sambo and Judo, two similar styles that focus on takedowns and, especially in the case of Sambo, submissions (Sambo is particularly known for its leg locks). Even after he started in MMA, Fedor managed to compete successfully in Sambo, becoming the Russian Combat Sambo Champion (2002), World Combat Sambo Champion (Heavyweight Division- 2002, 2005), and World Combat Sambo Champion (Absolute- 2002).

By 2000, however, Fedor was extremely well- versed in these techniques and because of this began to learn striking under coach Alexander Vasilievich Michkov.

Fedor will sometimes train three times per day. Further, it's widely known that although he used to weight train quite a bit, he hardly ever uses weights anymore. Instead, he focuses on strength exercises that utilize his own body including pull- ups, push- ups on parallel bars, and crunches.

According to an official website interview, Fedor runs 7.5- 9.3 miles per day. Beyond that his workouts consist of grappling, kickboxing, and boxing; in other words, the things he's asked to do in the ring. He often chooses to train in Kislovodsk, Russia. The reason- high altitude.

In 2005, Fedor started focusing on his kickboxing skills in a large way. The probable reason for this was his upcoming match with Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic. So who did he decide to work with? Cro Cop's old nemesis from kickboxing, Ernesto Hoost. In addition, he has added a Muay Thai coach (Ruslan Nagnibida).

In terms of fighting style, Fedor has one all his own. He's got great takedowns and ground control skills. Further, he's the most devastating fighter the MMA landscape has ever seen when in someone else's guard, literally raining down punches with tremendous force on his opponents while in a position where most would be somewhat cautious.

However, one reason that Fedor seems able to do this is that he has shown the ability, time and time again, to literally power out of submission attempts that other fighters would be tapping from (see the Nogueira fights for examples).

Last, Fedor's striking skills have improved tremendously. He hits very hard, has knockout power in both hands, and is a particularly devastating striker inside (as he showed in the fight against Cro Cop). Beyond that, he's a master game planner (his team also deserves some credit for this). All fighters walk into bouts with a plan, but unlike most, Fedor follows through. He simply doesn't wilt under pressure and seems calm no matter what the circumstances.

http://www.extremeprosports.com/full...elianenko.html

No, I don't think he trains aiki as it's discussed here on the forum . . . but he does train hard and he fights intelligently, He's extremely interesting to me in that he's developed into an amazingly effective fighter from an apparently undistinguished--pre-military--background. I love watching Fedor at work.