View Single Post
Old 08-27-2000, 11:11 AM   #19
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Re: Report from the Front

Quote:
tedehara wrote:

<snip>
When was the last time you trained with a dojo completely outside your style/organizaton? What were your feelings at that dojo and how did they treat you? What were the reactions of the teachers and fellow students in your dojo, when you told them of your visits? Were you foolish enough to tell someone in your dojo, what you were doing? Sometimes, it's not so easy.
<snip>
Ted Ehara
Ted,
I haven't trained at a different dojo, yet, but I have trained at a non-Tomiki weekend course, held by Ken Cottier Sensei, which was held by an Aikikai Dojo. There were a number of attendees from my dojo (my Sensei amongst them) and we were treated as part of the family. Bob Jones Sensei, Chairman of the British Aikido Association, has told us to experience different Sensei, different dojo, in order to strengthen the breadth and depth of our Aikido. Also a couple students at our dojo study 4 nights a week - twice at the dojo I attend, and twice at another. If anything Sensei welcomes the different 'spin' on things they sometimes bring to the dojo..

All in all an atmosphere, at both dojo and organistion levels, that fosters a truly wide-ranging learning environment...

Which makes it all the sadder when there are dojo, and possibly organisations, who try and keep the portcullis down.

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall