View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
You know, being a part of Saotome's organization, from my limited experiences with him...he seems to simply put it out there and it is up to you to figure it out. ... I don't get the feeling that they want us to simply follow what they do, but figure it out for ourselves.

I think the fact that they bring Ushiro in is a direct sign that we need to consider other paradigms.
Well we share that. I think you are right. But I don't think it is pointing us toward anyone's paradigm but our own. To challenge ourselves as we are challenged, not to simply adopt someone else's challenges. From my perspective, you are doing a bang-up job of YOUR OWN paradigm -- and with some interesting flavor on the Army side. Go with what you know. If there is truth in it, it will be useful and worthwhile, and if not, it will be seen soon enough. I try to do likewise. I just find that -- like the over-enthusiastic promoters of old standby flavors (which are all good in their own right) -- the salespeople for the new flavor on the block keep many people from realizing that to get ice cream on a hot day -- all you need is cream, your own choice of flavor (for variety's sake) -- plus ice, salt, and a whooollle lotta grindin'.

Keep grindin'

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.