Thread: Monthly Dues
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States
Re: Monthly Dues

Well isn't that just dandy. I suppose there is one for everyone. It happens and sometimes it is far more innocent than you might expect. Based on the information provided this person paid an associaiton fee and therefore belongs to the organization, so is therefore a member of your dojo. If your teacher/dojo-cho is upset this is how I would handle it.

I would pull the person aside after a practice and explain that it has come to your attention that he had paid his association fee but has not been paying dues and would ask him if there was any reason he is not paying dues. Depending on what he would say you could go as far as saying until he pays past dues he cannot attend class. If he has a problem with this then you can direct him to your sensei. But as Mike mentioned if it can be handled without having your sensei be the heavyhand on it, that is best. It would be a good idea to know how your sensei feels about it and it sounds like he is just as irritated about it as you. If confronted will your sensei support your actions? That is important to know as well.

I am a stickler for etiquette and protocol. There are a variety of ways to handle it but that is pretty much how I would do it. You may want to consider having a few of the senior students confront him at once so that he understands that it isn't you alone that is not going to tolerate his actions.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru