View Single Post
Old 10-21-2000, 07:43 AM   #11
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
A technical note

Quote:
Mikey wrote:

I applied a choke, and he started to collapse, I let up and he wanted to go again. I re-applied a choke and he crumpled.
Be careful about applying a choke in this manner. There is a thing called "double choking" which is pretty much exactly what you have here. The subject starts to go out, you ease up, the subject starts to fight and then you sink the choke again and put him out.

Normally there is a feedback loop between the diaphram and the brain which automatically revives a subject who has been choked out. That's why there has bever been anyone who died in judo from being choked out. But "double choking" can disrupt the feedback loop and the subject then fails to come out of unconsciousness on his own.

One of my teachers maintained that one should never be taught a choke without being taught the resusitation technique for reviving a subject who isn't waking up on his own.

The "double choke" used to sometimes happen when law enforcement folks applied their sleeper holds in just such a situation and the resulting fatalities helped put the technique into disrepute. It is only now being "rehabilitated" as a technique in some states that police can use. In most states it is either not done or it is interchangeable with shooting the subject in terms of use of force.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com