View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #24
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: Daito Ryu, Yoshinkan, Taichi & Secrets

Robert,

Excellent interpretations...as to taking the "force" and transferring it to the leg or to the fist. Most "recreational" martial artists never reach this level.

However, the box has many limitations. From what I see there is an external fa jing (influenced by chinese martial arts...this has taken place for over 1000 years). Though the "box" is certainly uniquely japanese in thought, motion and application. The ability to fluidlly adapt gives one the mobility to be "water".

In other words, by taking "form and shape", one must be aware of the weaknesses of the "form" one takes. The architecture though seemingly "beautiful and strong" has weaknesses hidden by the skin (culture, belief, application) of the building. Essentially, the method you and the other martial artist are performing is still essentially external martial arts. (Of course, from my perspective/opinion/experience...yin/internal/energy martial art is the "grand ultimate fist"). As such, the internalist, "blends, grasps and manipulates by aborbing the "force" of his opponent and then "emits" with focus, rather than "unleashing" his strikes.

Though, there is no doubt in my mind you can "fight". You have gone from traditional, to honing the skill, to incorporating other influences and than applying to MMA. The physical and the intellectual are no doubt the components that have brought you to your current level. The physical, the intellectual and the spiritual still have many lifetimes to congeal for you and for the rest of us.

But, to incorporate the nuances that lead to jin (small explosive power), the "big structure" must be "parted with" (at least for now). In your leg technique you are using "dead weight" to increase the power and velocity of the strike to the point of contact. It is a bit like a "chain and ball". Yet, the rest of the body is stuck in the structure of the "box". The hope is to make the entire body unified and yet disconnected at will. The hope is to regulate the strike. Instead, of using full force every single time...one should adjust to use only "necessary and appropriate" force so as to recycle one's natural resources (e.g. I don't need to thrust with the knife, I can simply use the razor of the blade to gently slice)

Thank you for the interaction. Very nice technique.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola