View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Salutations and a request for help :)

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Actually that is what Mary Heiny sensei has said many times. It is not just my personal view. She herself said to our dojo on her last visit, "Aikido is not a fighting art". And this she got directly from O'Sensei.

I am not saying that it is wrong to come out of the conflict on top. I am saying that having the mindset that "my goal must be to beat my enemy" is not in the spirit of aikido, as I understand it.
Well there is something there. For example, in combat, my goal is not to beat my enemy in the sense that I have disregard for him and his actions. My goal is to win his heart and mind if it can be won. my guns, sticks, weapons, and training, and "winning attitude" provide me the space necessary to do this.

However, if that fails, well then, I am going to win. I think it depends on what you are focusing on. I think there might be a difference between the external...beating your opponent, and the internal...winning.

I am always about winning. If I can't create a win/win then I am okay with win/lose. me as the winner opponent as the loser. in all cases, winning is my goal. I think though that their are better ways to win than others, but sometimes I don't make the choice about it for my opponent.

Hope this makes sense.

I think this "remove all ego" and all notions of winning cause issues and it can get lost in the interpretation of things. We need to come to peace with ourselves that it is okay to win that there is nothing wrong with winning....as long as we do it in the most ethical manner possible given all possible outcomes etc.

The "utopia" crowd I think has revised the meaning of this and has created a bastardization of the meaning that downplays the self and is willing to sacrifice the self for everything else. Self Sacrifice can be good, but I think in the right situations. Martially though, I think it is a stupid idea. I think it is one thing to give up your sandwich to a begger and go hungry for a while, vice giving up your sword if you are a warrior. Why practice a warrior art if you are going to preach the equivilant of giving up your sword? That logic escapes me.

Thanks for your reply, my comments are not directed at you personally, but I think this is a good topic of conversation to consider! thanks!