Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Latest Accomplishment?

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi folks,
So, what's the latest accomplishment in aikido that you're proud of?
-- Jun
As teacher, got an older guy who'd been with me some years to nidan, and a younger guy who did his uke partner through that also, and the accomplishment was quite different from my perspective for one as compared to the other. Older guy had physical limitations (artificial knee, and the other one needs the surgery and he's doing his best to hold off on it, hip & lower back issues, etc.) still has the best ukemi in the dojo of the student body base. Younger guy had some fundamental flaws in his technique (from our perspective), I offered him the choice of not worrying about it, or trying to tear down the trained-in flaws and try to sand them down, and build them back up the more coorect way (again, from my perspective), and he took the harder course and seems better for it now.

Personally, not truly "aikido" I don't suppose, but have been working on Popkin's abdominal "gut ball" stuff and it's doing some neat-o things for close encounters, meaning, tight spaces with no real room to move. Fun stuff!

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.