View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States
Re: not underestimated : (

I'll be honest. I have seen a student in Aikido who was horrible, and he was a horrible partner. No one wanted to partner with him. I mean he was horrible.

You could start to do any move and he would basically jump on the ground and flail around like he was being murdered. Now, being that I have trained in certain techniques for years I have become sensitive to people and their reactions to know when it works. His reaction were so blatant and in the wrong direction that it frustrated people. We actually had some talented students quit because of him. They were tired spending their money to only learn nothing with this partner.

Anyways, he stuck around for about a year, and after a year he started to do the techniques well enough. We all noticed his change and commented to him about how we felt in the past. He was a trooper and stuck it out. The Sensei commented, "I knew you were my project. If I could train you, I could train anyone."

If the people in your dojo hall are too stuck on themselves then let them be. You'll get better and you should start with self confidence.

Good luck

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu