View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #216
DH
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Power in motion- tenkan and Irimi

It bears repeating that all of these discussions were had, and then those who would came and met those who were arguing a different way to move, and then went...”Oh. Never mind.”
In context of the thread, I had asked where peoples current understanding was after feeling some of these things and training it. I think some people have a ways to go in grasping its full potential. They are still thinking in external terms.

There is a way to maintain a central balance with the body turning on the inside that will affect you in unexpected ways, in grappling on the ground, or standing, in getting hit with it etc. You can move without giving ground and wreak havoc on the structure of someone engaging you. It can be done in motion, in vectoring, or moving forward through them or in retreat. Its still the same body connection regardless. No…it is NOT having to stand still.
An explanation I gave a long time ago
Imagine there is a thick pole in the ground rising vertically, with a peg stuck through it at chest height.
Imagine I told you to hold on to the arms of the peg.
Imagine the pole is a drive shaft stuck into an engine below the floor you couldn't have seen.
Imagine me turning it on
Imagine you in the hospital with two broken arms and a concussion from where you landed on your head.
Imagine me asking you to do it again
Imagine the peg now has two arms welded to it with boxing gloves.
Imagine the drive shaft through the floor is now a 300 horsepower washing machine agitator
Imagine me turning it on
Imagine you in the hospital with a broken -everything.
Since the agitator destroyed your bones with power, do you think it lost its balance and had to take Ukemi? Do you think it lost a degree of force delivery and bounced back?
People are usually a “mess in motion,” loose sacks of grain that in various ways bleed out energy all over the place. With so much slack, or worse so much tension in movement that they loose or dissipate the greater portion of their power before it is delivered.
Add to that most of them missing the center. I cannot tell you how many DR and Aikido guys I have asked to take my center and they haven’t a freakin clue how to find it. Center on touch was an embarrassing joke in their hands.
Now
Imagine a door with a pivot in the middle
If you push on the left you get slammed from the right as you fell into the negative "hole" from the door freely spinning.
Imagine pushing very hard and fast.
Imagine getting out of the hospital and me asking you to do it again
This time the door has a big silver ball bearing in the middle supported at a 45 degree angle off the floor from the back
Imagine pushing on any part of the freewheeling door and getting slammed from the others corner or side.

Imagine getting out of the hospital and me asking you to do it again
Now
Imagine the door...with a free will and mind of its own, vectoring and moving with you and coming after you.

The only thing left to do is ask whether or not you know someone who knows a way to make your body capable of absorbing and delivering power in that manner.