View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #155
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Open Letter to My Students

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
In the USAF, there are seminar requirements for some of the gradings, although only starting at 1st kyu (before that it's encouraged but not a requirement), and they don't have to be specific seminars (except if you're instructing - you must attend a number of seminars by technical committee members).

It isn't spoken of much, though - it's just listed there on the requirements page along with attendance and list of techniques for testing.
That's interesting to know. It would be nice to see (in some separate thread) a discussion about, for instance in the old days, the requirements to get a Menkyo Kaiden (a license to teach which presumes someone knows enough to teach) and some of the more modern views on being qualified to teach or be a certain grade, etc. Of course times change, but while I've always been encouraged to attend seminars (in various arts including Aikido), I've never heard of it being a requirement. On the other hand, two seminars a year for first-kyu and above ensures that there isn't inbreeding and insularity as expertise develops, so it's probably a good thing.

Mike Sigman