View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #20
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Re: Concussion Recovery

Quote:
Fred Little wrote:
Which I would echo and to which I would add: If you are concerned about your shihan's reaction, talk to your instructor and either speak with your shihan face to face or have your instructor do so -- before the start of the first class.

I was a month out when I let myself be used as a throwtoy last Friday. Based on the way I feel now, I figure I set my recovery back a good two weeks.

Not good.

FL
Thanks, Fred. Believe me, I'm not high enough on the totem pole to be used as our Shihan's throwtoy yet (one can only dream --- give me a couple of years more for that), so it's nothing quite so dire a circumstance as that. I guess I'm just a keener. Also being one of the only senior students from our dojo going out to this seminar this time around doesn't help alleviate the pressure to perform, either.

"I swear on the grave of my father, Domingo Montoya", I won't take ukemi if I'm still feeling the slightest bit of post-concussive symptoms. Scout's honour.

Sigh...if there's one thing this whole shaken noggin' experience is teaching me, it's patience. I just wish it would hurry the heck up and finish the lesson already!

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba