View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #90
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: Aikiweb as a "Big Tent"

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Thank you for this list - I think most of them are very good points that should be taken in consideration everytime anyone submits a post on a thread.

"However, I do not agree with this one; The Group Paranoia: There is no group. Dan's stuff is just very persuasive to very diverse people, who may agree on little else in life and in budo. Live with it."

As soon as individuals with a similar background or experience or conviction start to act and react as a group, then even if they live in different parts of the world they are in effect a group!
Perhaps you have time to rewind some of the threads and you will clearly see a group interaction.
Besides that some of them have admitted they were a group. As such there is nothing wrong with a group or identifying them as a group. A basic rule of politeness applies to an individual just as much as to a group. So there is really no reason to speak of group paranoia here.
I agree more with Nicholas' point. Yes, there are a number of aikiweb members involved in internal training. That includes Nicholas and Janet (and many others, including me). Still, Janet started this thread and Nicholas stated his points. Doesn't that in itself support Nicholas' point?
If some internal training students happen to support each other's posts about some topic, it does not mean they represent the opinions or sentiments of all other internal training students. It's not the group speaking.