View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Kane Hollins asks about returning to training

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
Maybe I'm just in a weird reacting-to-winter mood and shouldn't be posting at all....
I don't know, Janet. I tend to agree with you, but maybe I'm weird, too.

In fact, I'll take it a step further. I know that this is largely a matter of dojo culture, but I have never liked the red tape thing. It was not done in my first dojo, and we don't use the practice now. While training out of town, I have been to schools where so many people had red X's on their gi I thought I was in a hospital. There is just something undignified about it.

Nothing beats communication with your training partners and your instructors. And, really, don't you train with the same people all the time? Don't they care about your wellbeing? Every time we have an injury everyone in the dojo seems to know about it shortly and they are always conscientious. We train very hard, but we look out for each other. . . That's just the way it should be.

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote:
Is there any way you can wear an obvious knee brace or something?
Ooh. . . Knee braces. Unless it is absolutely necessary, I cannot recommend them. They shouldn't be worn for pain management, and they definitely shouldn't be worn as an accessory. They don't allow your body to function naturally, which is never a good thing.

It's a much better idea to take the time to properly heal and strengthen your body. Like Janet said, there is no rush. Nobody here is trying to win the Super Bowl.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki