View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: Why people don't like Aikikai?

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
......Certainly any offspring [male ] has a instant promotion to the top spot.A bit like Prince Charles and Wills here in Blighty.Why could I have not been born to such high faluting parents??Cheers, Joe.
If by which you mean it's an hereditary lineage, that is the Japanese way. I think you will find though that waka sensei (Ueshiba Mitsuteru) has put a fair bit of time into aikido training and is fairly proficient at it, as is his father, and was his grandfather and great grandfather......

In answer to the original poster, I think some dislike for the Aikikai is probably a result of things that have gone on in the past, mostly politics, and maybe very valid to those concerned, but I think a lot of it also comes from misconception, lack of knowing the full story and "Chinese whispers" over the years.

I'm sure that the Aikikai don't lay claim to being a perfect organisation, equally I'm sure that the Japanese way of doing things doesn't always go down well with some of us westerners. Ultimately, we have a choice to live with it or do something else, and many have chosen to do so over the years.

For my own perspective, I actually quite like it and am happy to have a direct link to the Aikikai.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"