View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Aikido and the Structure of the Universe - Ichirei Shikon Sangen Hachiriki

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
I am unfamiliar with the hachiriki outside of an Omoto/aikido context. I'd be especially interested in any examples from the shrines Takeda is said to have trained at. I agree that Omoto would have had their system well-established by the time Deguchi went to prewar China, but I am curious to know if some of the Shinto concepts were not so commonplace in Japan but well-established in the choice for a Utopian colony. Also, where would Osensei have first encountered hachiriki?

Thanks for your research and comments so far

Carl
600 years before Osensei, Kiichi Hogen had a reputation as an expert in Onmyodo - which was introduced to Japan even earlier than that. There's also this interesting book that was recommended to me but that I haven't read yet.

Anyway, it's easy to see that these concepts would have been well known in Japan, especially to Morihei Ueshiba, who was educated in a Shingon temple and grew up reading classical texts.

Interestingly, Soemon Takeda was also a student of Onmyodo.

No need even to go to Omoto-kyo for a source.

It may well be, however, that the confluence of Daito-ryu In-Yo methods with Omoto-kyo beliefs had an influence on Ueshiba's conceptualization of Aikido.

Best,

Chris