View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #264
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: AIkibudo/Yoseikan Techniques

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
The problem with that analogy is that one would assume that a graduate student had decent (or at least passable) spelling to get where they were. Many people come to Aikido without any other martial skills. To steal your analogy, it would be like entering into a Physics PhD without any knowledge of Mathematics. It's my belief that valid martial techniques must form the basis for any deeper insights to be honestly earned from Aikido. All of the pre-war (and most of the post-war) greats came to Aikido with a foundation in Judo. This formed the underlying structure for their exploration of Aikido.
No problem. I thought I stated that, "Sure, you gotta learn it". Thanks for the clarification.

But aikido was not a pre-war art (ok, I know this is a point of contention for some). At that time it was a 'combat form'. After O'Sensei's realization the lessons and the purpose and the name changed. Now it can be used as a method of uniting us with the powers of nature and to integrate us into harmony with nature. By training ( strong training) we can follow forms that not only make us 'combat ready' for the trials of the new world ( enviromental wars and trials, etc.) but innovators of healthful ways of living based on the insights of training.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems