View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 02:26 PM   #15
Wayne
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
A comment from another beginner

I also am enjoying the comments since I too am a beginner at aikido. I have been making notes since I started in hopes of helping my brain and body remember what I practiced during class. For me, as well as other students I think, a book or books would provide a means of memory refresh during times when we cannot practice. Also, if I remember some of a technique, pictures may very well jog my meory as to what sensei demonstrated.

I agree with the style concerns but subtle differences won't matter since I'm not that good at the technique anyway.

As far as specific suggestions, I also enjoyed the beginner handbook. I asked a senior student and found out that my dojo is affiliated with Saotome Sensei. Thus, I decided that his two books (I forget the titles) would be good additions to my library. It seems to me that his versions of the fundamental techniques are probably what I will be learning and practicing and practicing. Ask around see if your organization's Shihan has books or videos. Also, check with your local library. Some other aikido books may have a good selection of stretching exercises that you can do at home in between practice sessions.

One more thing. I have enjoyed the "Aikido in America" and "Women in Aikido" books. They are each collections of interviews and may give you a feeling for some of the history and politics behind aikido.