View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: What is a great framework for learning (Aikido) ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Good evening (or good morning) fellow Aikido practitioners.
I just came home from practise and it was one of those evenings where people were radiating
positive cooperation, the windows were completely damp, and our sensei excelled (like he always do) and showed us a lot of really interesting points about yokomen uchi. It was really nice !

Disclaimer:
Sometimes my practise is compromised by my ability to stay open towards learning, this is offcourse my personal issue and not worth debating here, so I would like to ask what you people think is a good framework for learning and practising Aikido in a positive spirit ? (without diving too deep into personal and psycological themes, I´m talking about the framework, not our individual idiosyncrasies)
(I think this forum is great and very impressive, but I also think people often misunderstand what other people write and forget to ask the approbiate questions before blabbering away ( like I do) and generally people take their own opinions for granted and forget to explain their point of views and often show absolutely no interrest in other peoples ideas..
If you think I sound like a TV minister or Dr Phil, youre right.. maybe I should have been a TV minister..

So what makes for a great learning and teaching invironment you think ?!

Cheers
Lars
Dear Lars,
I think an ideal situation is a environment where the students are hungry for knowledge.I also think that ideally any communication should be two way.If a student is uncertain about something he /she in my opinion should be able to express this to the instructor.Instructors need feedback.For me its a two way street, however I do notice a reluctance for some students to say they do not fully grasp
what is being shown.
Another key element is of course the group leader.Ideally he/she should be a competent aikidoka,
and know his/her subject.
A dojo with a few students also makes a difference especially if the students attend class regularly.However work, study, domestic /economic reasons sometimes prevents this from happening.
I look forward to reading other viewpoints on this subject.Cheers, Joe.