Thread: Defining Kokyu
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #167
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Defining Kokyu

Quote:
Brad Medling wrote:
Perhaps this is true as I do not dispute the ability to do so. I only notice that in the moment when you are actually throwing nage, I tend to exhale. Do any of you do the same? Especially if you "kiai", this requires exhalation. I think one purpose of the kiai is to release the power steming from your diaphram. I could be wrong? However, I feel that if one were to inhale while throwing nage, it wold be unnatural. Anyone ever do a really heavy deadlift? Did you ihale or exhale? I think more power comes from exhaling. Am I wrong? I appreciate hearing everyone's perspective on this as it is an interesting read.
I agree with you for the most part, Brad. Even if you don't exhale while doing a throw, the "squeeze down" of properly executed musculature will do pretty much as it does in an exhale. However, there are a lot of people who throw or do things with local musculature, so an exhale may not be as important to them (particularly in Aikido where sometimes the "cooperative training" ensures that Uke will take the fall without a lot of exertion).

On the other hand, there is a certain power that is developed by breathing the air (which is what "Ki" really refers to) in certain ways. If you have built up this 'strength' through breathing, you don't necessarily have to use the training-process (the breathing) when you utilize it.

FWIW

Mike