View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #37
MM
United_States
Re: Why do people think Aikido does not work?

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
Here are a few reasons. (I don't completely agree with all of them, btw, and some of them overlap a bit.)
- No sparring or 'alive' training.
Ueshiba was tested throughout his life by all manner of men. He had "alive" training.

Quote:
- Limited technical curriculum (no body-to-body grappling, no punching/kicking).
Actually, there was no curriculum with Ueshiba. Or Takeda, if I remember right. So, really, when studying the way of aiki, why didn't Ueshiba use a curriculum?

Quote:
- No aiki.
As can be seen, Ueshiba learned aiki in a short time frame (5-10 years as opposed to everyone's belief in "20 year techniques", etc.)

Quote:
- Aikido has not proven itself in MMA fights.
I know of one karate student who met Shioda and tested himself against Shioda. He didn't fare very well and became a student of Shioda. While not "MMA", it was a free attack encounter. True aiki in the hands of an adept works in any situation.

Quote:
- Knowingly practicing many unrealistic (too elaborate) techniques to explore principles and ideas.
- Training techniques on poorly executed attacks during training.
If you are training aiki, there are a lot of "unrealistic", but not too elaborate, training methods. Even techniques can be utilized for training methods. And a push to the chest, shoulder, etc are definitely poor "attacks" but yield very good aiki training.