View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Toby Threadgill
United_States
Re: Helio Gracie: A Bow of Respect

Hello,

Around a decade ago I visited the Gracie Academy in Southern California. I was invited there to shoot a formal portrait of Helio Gracie with his eldest son Rorion. Upon entering the school I soon spied this martial arts legend rolling on the dojo floor with a group of beginning students. Helio was slowly and methodically taking the students from a mount into a simple armbar submission. Next he would swap position, teaching them how to take him into the same submission.

The portrait session and afternoon that followed was lighthearted and relaxed. During the photo session Helio joked about damaging my expensive looking Hasselblad camera's with his homely looks. Later during conversation he talked with pride about his sons and his extended family.

I was quite taken with his easy going demeanor and impressed to find him behaving like any another guy, totally unconcerned with appearing like someone of any special importance. To Helio Gracie, he was simply just a guy named Helio. I walked away from that afternoon photo shoot admiring Helio Gracie more than I ever suspected I would. I found he embodied an all too rare mindset and persona, one all true budo teachers should try to emulate.

Respectfully,

Toby Threadgill

Last edited by Toby Threadgill : 02-05-2009 at 02:01 PM.