View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Re: visited Jason Delucia sensei's dojo

Thanks, Rob, for the nice writeup! We all had a great time training with you and are looking forward to seeing you again. The invitation goes for the rest of you, too, Rob and Chris and anyone else who wants to visit -- it's lots of fun to train with different people so everyone gets to try out their different aikido "dialects" together.
Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I'm pretty sure that at least one of the guys I worked out with while I was there was a police officer as well.
Yes, we do have police in our classes, quite a few on some days. They can't all always make it on Sundays due to their changing schedules, but the "Eric" you worked with was Police Officer Eric Cusson, who posts on Aikiweb sometimes and talked about himself here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7282

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about size/strength and groundwork -- at 5' 3" and 130 lbs wearing my gi, my technique has to be a whole lot better than any significantly larger/stronger guy I work with or he wins for sure. That's why Royce Gracie impresses me so much. Still, it's fun doing groundwork with people of all sizes and abilities since each presents a different set of challenges. For me, the best way to improve in every art is to practice the basics over & over but also to challenge myself in a variety of ways to uncover my weaknesses so I can work to correct them.