View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 06:51 PM   #11
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
The Book of Water

Quote:
Miyamoto Musashi as translated by Ochiai Hidy wrote:
In the world of martial strategy you must maintain a normal, everyday mental attitude at all times. Wether it is just an ordinary day or wether you are in a combat situation, your mental attitude should in essence be the same. One should have the feeling of being broad and straight, without being too rigid or too soft. Through total composure you must maintain mental balance at all times. You should not lose your self control even for a moment. You must study this very hard so that you will be able to maintain a relaxed state of mind at all times.
This is the mental attitude of budo in Musashi's Book of Five Rings. Basically this is the concept of "mushin".
Quote:
Miyamoto Musashi as translated by Ochiai Hidy wrote:
When you are physically calm you must be mentally alert; conversely, when you are physically active, maintain a serene state of mind. In other words, your mind should not be be directly affected by your body and vice versa. Be attentive at all times to all things without being overly anxious. You must maintain a gentle countenance and a sturdy state of mind. Do not let others perceive your true intentions. One who serves others should be generally aware of the overall flow of things, while one who leads should be aware of everything including seemingly inignificant matters. Regardless of the social positions people hold, everybody should sincerely respect each other as equal.
In the second paragraph, Musashi states even if your mind is relaxed it also has to be attentive and focused at all times. This is "zanshin". Both go hand in hand. It's like yin and yang, though both are opposite of each other, they are still together.

My experience training with ki-no-kenkyu-kai actually made me realize this. Especially the last part of the second paragraph, respect your opponent's Ki.

The book of water actually discusses a lot of this issue, "mushin" and "zanshin". This is only a couple of paragraph.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/