View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #14
Jeff Sodeman
Dojo: San Diego Jiai Aikido
Re: Ever Had To Use Aikido For Real?

For what it's worth I've been in an scuffle and a full on fight and used aikido in both and came out on top. The fight was against a much bigger person and I was able to subue him 4 times in a row (though I did get hit several times). Both times I could have personally avoided the situation but chose not to as I think an innocent person with no training would have taken my place.

I have no question about aikido being effective. But those situations brought up other questions, such as once you subdue someone what do you do with them? Sit there pinning them for 20 minutes while you wait for the police?

For a variety of reasons I probably don't look like someone you'd want to pick a fight with - so I think it would be rare for me to end up in another one. But I do think it's likely that I'd come across something between an attacker and a friend or just a random victim. Using aikido in that kind of situation, having to step into an existing conflict where you're not the initial target, is an interesting thing to think about.