View Single Post
Old 02-07-2002, 03:22 PM   #6
David Humm
United Kingdom
Jun..

This is indeed an interesting subject.

As generations pass and we get further away from the original source, I can see the path from the founder's principles being lost.

The problem as I see it lies in where we obtain our instruction. As you know the IAF places restrictions upon how many organisations per country can affiliate to Hombu Dojo (I think this number has been increased to two per country recently)

Within the UK we have 40 Aikido organisations of which two (The BAF & UKA are officially recognised by Hombu) The standards of the remaining 38 organisations are in effect unchallenged. I would suggest that many purporting to study 'Traditional Aikido' do not follow any form of guidelines similar to Hombu Dojo, these organisations have the potential to grade students to such positions where they teach to fellow students and so on and on.. My point being; eventually the Aikido practiced may not be that of the founder.

Naturally I cannot comment on Yoshinkan or Tomiki Ryu because I don't study either of those styles.

I understand human nature, I can appreciate there are many reasons (good and bad) why individuals wish to form and lead their own organisations however, unless we ensure we follow the guidelines (standards) of the source of our art, the quality and purity of what may be practiced in the future could be severely compromised.

Dave.H
National Aikido Communication Database