View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #134
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Can we see that aikido is all over the place in MMA?

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
Let me draw another analogy.

Falling is an activity that serves as an expression of gravity. If we decide one day to define falling according to gravity rather than to the specific activity, then falling becomes a very general word which can mean many different things. As such, falling no longer specificies the thing we do when nothing is holding us up. That activity, therefore needs a new name.
For example, I can fall in love or fall out of line. In both actions, the verb fall is not an expression of gravity, but rather an expression of transition from one state to another. So specifically, are you claiming that the commonly accepted phrase "falling in love" should not be used because the verb "falling" [incorrectly] does not act as an expression of gravity? And in a case where a conflict of defintion has displaced a word, that word should be redefined?

You have spent a lot of effort in trying to define aikido. I don't think you are necessarily saying anything wrong, but what several posters have been trying to say is that in defining aikido, you have to include the common context and usage in your clausal statement. The outcome of all the number of posts you have made has resulted in:
Quote:
What such a definition does not do is allow us to say that we see aikido "all over the place in MMA". It would be far more correct and far less obfuscatory to say that we see the principles of aikido or the lessons of aikido "all over the place in MMA".
One word- "principles" of aikido. Or is it "lessons" of aikido. A lesson and a principle are not the same thing.

I am not sure getting so over-defined is contributory to a discussion about whether MMA fighters may apply [principes of] aikido in their fights. I think most of us here accepted the implication that we are not literally talking about aikido waza. I also think most of us here accepted the loose claim of possession that aikido is inclusive of aiki. I also think that most of us here are not claiming aiki is exclusive to aikido.

What I am claiming is that yes, you can see aiki in fights.

Last edited by jonreading : 05-08-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Jon Reading