View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 01:37 AM   #4
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Re: Re: Private Training

Quote:
Phillip Johnson (PhilJ) wrote:
I can agree with most of what you said Shaun, but not in this context. Your initial statement contradicts and nullifies your caveats. No need to apologize.

Andy, don't be misled: there is no "worst" student in aikido. You work with the tools available, and if you like it and agree with the teacher's philosophy, then stick with it. This doesn't make you a "bad" student or aikidoist.

*Phil
Hi Phil,

Just to clarify, I was apologizing not for my comments in general, but specifically to my teacher's private students - some of whom are still training, and thus, I see from time to time at our group trainings in LA, and who might take my comments in the wrong context. To balance out my initial statement, I would like to add, "They (private students) may not have a clue how to tenkan, or Irimi, but some of them support my teacher and his movement with as much spirit and dedication as any ten students who train in the regular class - and that would include me, as, for the moment, I get to see my teacher only 4-6 times a year, as we are three thousand miles apart"

Oh, and when I say "worst" I mean it exactly how it sounds, in "Oh" so many ways, and on "oh" so many levels. I think it relevant, as I am not talking about those who are beginners, and don't know any better. I am talking those who have been around a long time, and ought to know much better.

The caveats were supposed to negate the initial statement; by the way, that is why I called them caveats, rather than supportive statements. Although, re-reading my post, some could be taken either way, or both ways, for that matter.

In Andy's case, I think it not too relevant to his current situation, but I threw it out there for his consideration as to where he might find himself five or ten years down the line - in the hole he could end up digging for himself. Of course, he could master the art and found another in the same time, at which point, we may all be studying with him - just as much a possibility as becoming the worst student, or his dojo's "consummate king of mediocrity."

After all, one can never know until one fails.... Right?

Last edited by Misogi-no-Gyo : 08-17-2003 at 01:39 AM.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.