United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

First the scientific method.

1. Define the question
2. Gather information and resources
3. Form hypothesis
4. Perform experiment and collect data
5. Analyze data
6. Interpret data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for new hypotheses
7. Publish results

Finally, each element of a scientific method is subject to peer review for possible mistakes.

This is exactly what I am doing. Only in the case of martial arts, we have theoretically starting in the peer review stage. In order to have meaningful conversation we need honesty, and we need to understand the view points, reasoning, ideals, and backgrounds of the people we are talking too. From that I can define a question, and gather information and resources, and form a hypothesis.

I then go spar, and use other training methods to gather data. I analyze that data, and repeat the steps as needed. Finally I do not publish results, but I do share what I have learned to others in conversation.

This is exactly what I am attempting to do here, and is indeed the scientific method.

I have attempted to make no assumptions without first asking for data and clarification. When such data was not supplied, I make logical assumptions.

For example, you claim I would tell you that you can't not handle a bjj attacker. This is not true. In fact I would ask the exact same questions I have asked. What strategies do you think are reasonable and effective to deal with a bjj attacker? What training methods do you employ to develop the skills you require to effectively implement this strategy.

So far, with my search in your style, it sounds like you spar and train in an alive manner. In which case I have no evidence in which to doubt the ability to gain skill and defeat a bjj attacker. Obviously the level of bjj comes into question. But assuming that most bjj practitioners are between white and purple belt with the majority at blue belt, that means a bjj practitioner with 1-3 years training. It would be a logical assumption that anyone training in an alive manner for 9 years in a grappling art should be able to defeat this kind of attacker.

Personally I am not a fan of humility. It adds nothing to the conversation. This is not to say arrogance is useful, it is not. But honest discussion of skill is very useful for having a conversation where neither of us can work with the other to learn our skill levels. Also, the taping a judo black belt thing did not convey a level of skill. Because at least here, a judo black belt is not all that great on the ground. They seem to range between high white belt and high blue belt in bjj. I am a blue belt in bjj and a brown belt in judo and I have rarely met a judo black belt who is more skilled then I on the ground. And in my bjj club I'm not even close to the best blue belt in the club.

I agree sport mentality can be mindless, but it seems that anyone successful at combat sports is anything but mindless. The washouts who stay low level are the ones who become reactionary and mindless. Yet I still see people have more success in sport based martial arts, then in non-sport based arts. I've seen very few people train for a year in bjj and not get any quantifiable skill. They either wash out because they are not mindful and attentive, or they grow spiritually and physically. However, I have a friend who did some japaneese kata based jujitsu for a year. When we spared he was clumsy and basically could not do any of the techniques he had shared and demonstrated to me. The majority of which were basic judo. I think he would of been much better served by a year of judo.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein