View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #35
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Fitness needed for Aikido [Help Requested]

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I have some issues with eddie as most do. But he has contributed a lot to the game. I use some of his techniques. I had a student a white belt working on rubber guard, asked him to leave it alone as his time needs to be spent on foundations and not on this stuff. Nothing wrong with rubber guard, but it Dan be a distraction for the new guys. That and I can't do it,I am not flexible and doesn't fit my game at all. I've worked with those that can use it very effectively though.

Flexibility is just important in life. I have abused my body through army stuff, and like most army guys I have very tight hamstrings and it causes me back problems. I do decent. At bjj, so it isn't a requirement, but it certainly makes things better.
I don't know...I haven't seen any of his instructional material, yet; and that video of him rolling with Marcelo Garcia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47_Urqs-RM

...was just embarrassing. His rubber guard - and he's the master of it, right? - didn't do him any good.

The way his acolytes venerate him, showing a complete lack of knowledge of BJJ, is embarrassing (see the top comment about him '99% getting a twister' on Marcelo Garcia, for example).
The rubber guard seems to be a particularly bad idea: Ryan Hall calls it 'Wacky crap' on his triangle instructional, and Saulo Ribeiro eschews locking yourself to your opponent; plus, being trapped flat on your back is a big no-no in BJJ, right?