View Single Post
Old 03-23-2001, 06:28 AM   #8
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
Quote:
Matt Banks wrote:
Kelly,

I agree with you to an extent, but what I think what you may forget is that the students of o'sensei, who trained in the ''hell dojo'' etc loved it. They were exilerated by the hard training, they recieved. Gozo Shioda loved it, and im sure many other of the greats did also. Personally I prefer really hard training. As I find it exilerating, as it pushes me (''striving for the ultimate'' ''the way of the warrior''). I dont like NOT trying to improve myself physically and mentally and spiritually. I personally feel that if each day I dont push myself harder in training then I have failed. The idea in the dojo's I train in, is that hard training makes you a stronger person mentally. Plus if I can get through this training, then the outside world is an easy thing for me to deal with.

Matt Banks
in other words, you'd watch bootcamp because survivor is for sissys? Ok, to each their own but I have to wonder if that's not sort of a cop out. I have nothing against training intensivly, pushing your self to the limit of ability as it were but I see absolutely no validity to the idea you need to be physicaly punished, even to the point of making you bleed, to encourage you to push yourself.
Lots of people enjoy that sort of physical abuse so i'm sure that some of the students probably did enjoy it. They also probably went home to their spouses and had them tie them up and whip them to enjoy lovemaking. But probably far more didn't enjoy it but said they did. Or even talked themself into believing that they did becaues 'that's how Sensei teaches and he CANT be wrong'.
Are you not capable of pushing yourself intensely without someone beating you up at the same time? Or is being beaten up what you actualy enjoy?

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror