View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #84
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Arm locks... really???????

Quote:
Brian Beach wrote: View Post
To piggyback - I'm not talking about using muscle in lieu of technique. Most Jujitsu arts state something to the effect of "if you are using muscle, you are doing it wrong"

With all factors being the same between two practitioners, Internal Training, endurance, martial technique, height, weight etc. How is the physically stronger one at a disadvantage? You don't have to be big or bulky to be strong.
That's a fair and good question. I'd say if u are isolating all else being equal sure. Who is stronger matters. Define it though....how measured? Guy with better physique, bigger arms, can run faster?

I've found that many times I am stronger on the mat in angles and ways than bigger and younger guys that can do more pull ups etc. You might look at that and say, oh well you transitioned to technique...that's not isolating strength. I've also gassed many a weight lifter as well, but again what does that have to do with strength of conditioning...you'd say, well you are better at jiu jitsu that he.

Maybe if you had us both grab a give hanging from a bar and said the winner is the one that holds on the longest...then ,maybe we would have a contest of strength, or who can keep there legs wrapped around a body for the longest...but alas, even then, the jiu jitsu player would argue that he would never hang out that long in one position and would manage his body in such a way to rest and move and remain active...you know using all that encompasses jiu jitsu.

I think it is stupid to try and split out and isolate this stuff. I regularly beat guys 20 years younger than me that are in better shape, stronger etc. Sure, me being in better cardiac shape helps, and strength helps too, as well as my size. Consistently though I have found that what matters more than any of this is simply how good your jiu jitsu game is. I work constantly on my game and integrating things. Really my secret lately has been working the softer side of things, angles, and developing a good defensive game that allows me to attack from any position. I assume the younger, and stronger guy will jump on me hard and fight to a dominate position. I let him exert his will and game. While I begin to defend. Essentially what I do is work him outside of his comfort zone and then take control of the OODA process and never give it back. I call it old man jiu jitsu and it seems to work we'll.

Anyway, my point is, all equal, sure strength matters. But in jiu jitsu that equation and dynamics are never quite that equal or clear.