Thread: Non-resistance
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 AM   #1
Steve Morabito
United_States
Non-resistance

I'm very interested in the meaning of something Osensei said about non-resistance, because thinking about this principle helps me in my practice. The following are two "quotes" translated from OSensei that are commonly seen on websites. I'm wondering if they are really something he said one time and are just different english translations. If so, which is more accurate? Maybe someone can post the Japanese words and I can ask for another translation. I'd ultimately like see a very accurate translation and the kanji (at least for the word "non-resistance") if anyone has thoughts on that as well.

#1:The Art of Peace is the principle of nonresistance. Because it is nonresistant, it is victorious from the beginning. Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing.

#2:Aikido is non-resistance. As it is non-resistant, it is always victorious. Those who have a warped mind, a mind of discord, have been defeated from the beginning.

Thanks,
Steve