View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #36
Toby Threadgill
United_States
Re: Professional discussion of Test cutting in Koryu

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Mr. Threadgill,

Thank you for the very informative and on-topic comment.

Can you comment on whether or not this type of tameshigiri training was commonplace among koryu, or even just in Shindo Yoshin Ryu, before the Meiji Restoration?

I'm still wondering if this type of practice took place within the official training context during the koryu period or if it was an informal extracurricular practice that was later brought in after the abolition of the samurai class.

Thank you very much,
Cliff
Mr Judge,

I'm led to assume it was practiced in TSYR and Yoshin ryu Iaitachijutsu much that same as we practice it today, as a simple technical check. In TSYR, the specifics of tameshigiri reigi and practice is kuden, consequently it not listed on any of our densho. Interestingly however, Shinto prayers used in conjunction with our tameshigiri reigi are listed on one of our densho. One prayer in particular is directly associated with a sword purification ritual performed before and after tameshigiri.

I have a large collection of densho that belonged to my teacher. Over the years I have added to it. In the process of searching out densho associated with the various lines of Yoshin ryu I have seen an old Akiyama Yoshin ryu Iaitachijutsu densho that illustrated how to make straw cutting targets and construct a proper cutting stand. If memory serves me right this densho dated from the Genbun era so this indicates some schools were practicing tameshigiri in some form or fashion as far back as the mid 1700's.

It is my impression from discussions with my teacher that tameshigiri was first conceived during the Edo period several decades after the Warring States period had ended. Its use was utterly utilitarian. Following the Meiji Restoration public budo demonstration's like the Kankyo Gekkenkai became quite popular. It's seems logical that with such theatrical influences afoot, flashy examples of swordsmanship, including overly dramatic tameshigiri displays would be inevitable.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR