View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #69
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: What is AIKI ? - fantastic video

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
to me the WORST thing about this is the sensei who believes he is having that affect on his performers.
But he is having an effect, just not the one we all assume. Now whether that can be applied outside of his dojo, with people other then his students, or in more wide sweeping contexts is open to discussion.

We always want to call something REAL or FAKE. While this will get us through the things we don't care about, it's a little too simple for anything we really want to understand.

It's important that we understand what is happening so that we know if we are really interested in it or not.

I personally don't believe this exchange was scripted. I also believe that this teachers students likely believe something is happening to them. That means something IS happening to them. The sensei is leading their minds, this is a powerful thing, some might justifiably call this thing "Aiki".

Now can he do it to people who have been less conditioned? Good question! How far can you take this ability? Good question! How quickly can one be conditioned to do this? GREAT question!

Something is happening. At first we may think we are seeing magic. But it's our job as people who care about the Aiki related arts to actually get to the bottom of it.