View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #166
R H
Dojo: Shinkaikan Medford Oregon
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
I'm not sure how that's any different than what I said. Ask Kuroda what he means by "gravity" (or just look at the two ki demo's at the end of that video, because that's what he's talking about, then ask him if those demo's show "gravity") and you might understand what I mean by the core principles being the same. I mentioned that there were superficial differences, but I stand on my statement (which they seem to support) that at core they are doing the same thing.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Maybe I am misunderstanding you here, Mike, but if you go back over my posts, I always say there is some overlap. I also talk about gravity, the body and mind being the same so there is some commonality. I am not so sure we are actually saying such different things now, if that is what you are referring to as basic principles. If that is what you are referring to as basic principles, then I am in fact in agreement with you.

Where the differences lay (I will leave out any teacher's names here because this may well be breaching my promise) is in things like the following example: of the 5 schools I have mentioned so far, 2 train and stress "breath power", and three say that "breath power" is not a part of IT and have no training in kokyu-ho. This is just one of a few distinctions that I have seen and heard about from the teachers. Is not breath power a principle in your book?

Last edited by R H : 01-16-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: took out a misleading word