View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Janet Rosen

Metaphors for Teaching

Hi... I'm separating this off to a new thread; thanks, Diane, for posting it...a great topic in and of itself. I wasn't sure if I wanted to start it in "humor" or "teaching" and opted for the latter...

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Not to take sides, but once "funny stuff" is mentioned I start laughing and remembering teaching shiho nage out of cat food commercials....
Not to be disrespectful of senior practicioners of the various arts and styles out there, but come on, people admit you use examples to get a technique across to students who really want to learn.
My favorite one also involves shihonage. It works very well for students of {ahem} a certain age, anyhow... you know how newbies always let their hand get over or behind them, so uke gets his balance back and can easily walk away or do a reversal?

My first aikido instructor taught me from day 1 to "glue your hand to your forehead" - which a perceptive friend of mine immediately likened to the picture on the cover of the Greatful Dead's Live in Europe 1972 (the guy with the ice cream cone splatted to his forehead).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LiveInEurope72,jpg.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	847  

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield